Monday, April 8, 2013

The Importance of the Bible

The Bible – God’s Sword.

The Judeo–Christian Bible is loved or hated, feared or revered, assailed or defended because of its content and claims. As I share this series I want to let you into the reasons why I love it, enjoy it, am convinced of its inspiration and integrity. For me the Bible has more going for it than any other religious/spiritual book.

We will consider some of the claims it makes and whether they match up to reality in a person’s life. For instance why does it claim to be the sword of the Lord? ‘The word of God is living and active, sharper than any two–edged sword, piercing until it divides soul from spirit, joints from marrow; it is able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.’ (Hebrews 4:12) 

Notice it isn’t a literal sword. It is much more enduring and powerful. A metal sword can only kill not bring back to life. The word of God does both. When we hear it or read it there is a power and vibrancy penetrating our mind and heart. It’s searching out anything contrary to the eternal and holy God. This is why so many resist reading it.  Over the years I have felt the smiting of God’s sword. It cuts deep and deals with thoughts, motives, dark passions and self–righteous virtues no one but God and I know about. It reveals so as to deal with issues effecting a personal faith and obedient relationship with our Lord and Saviour.

What happens next? I must offer up those unwholesome things of my inner and active life to the sword. The Lord doesn’t snatch them from me. I must yield them to the sword. In so doing the word of God puts them to death, provides forgiveness and offers new resources to live a life pleasing to God It becomes one which will bless others and also prevent any blackmailing from Satan. God made me (and also you in similar circumstances) alive together with Him when He forgave and put to death all my trespasses. (Colossians 2:13)

If I don’t read or listen to God’s word then I may imagine I’m safe from His sword. Foolish thinking! The ultimate day will arrive when we stand before the One who wields the sword of His mouth. Before the Lord gives permission to enter His glory how much smiting sword play will He require to be performed on me, on you? We cannot enter with moral, spiritual or emotional darkness and disease in our inner being. Best to deal with it in our life time than to be embarrassed before His judgement seat. Sure salvation is not at risk, but knowing the pleasure of the Lord concerning our faithfulness is.

So I’m thankful for those across the years who taught me God’s word, which I didn’t put into practice unfortunately until late teens. The pain and shame of feeling God’s sword wasn’t pleasant but Oh how thankful I am that He used it. I’m also glad that the Lord continues to make His word alive and active today. Why? Because it safeguards my Christian life and testimony as well as knowing his pleasure!

Next week…The Bible as life guiding light..

I hope you will come along with me each week to have a look at some of the wonder, the beauty and the promises alive and vibrant in His word. Until next week – enjoy reading and hearing the most thrilling book in all of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment