Sunday, May 12, 2019

I wasn’t at the Sea of Galilee.


 
 

I wasn’t there so I couldn’t see the frustration
On the bearing of the seven disciples’ concentration.
It was a long night fishing so fruitlessly
On the Sea of Galilee where, previously,
They had laboured so successfully.

 A voice floated over the waters with a command
“Throw your net on the other side” was its demand.
This they did, perhaps ruefully
Only to discover, in humility,
                                            They’d netted one hundred and fifty three.

 Impetuous Peter, jumped overboard, rushed ashore
To greet the risen Lord and maybe implore
The Lord to ignore those hasty words
Peter had spoken in denial of his Lord,
Who was under arrest to face Roman Law.

 I wasn’t there to listen in, but this I understand
Jesus confronted Peter so as the restore the man
With bitter, deep regrets for stumbling
And saying around the fire’s glowing
This Jesus, he wasn’t following.

 No recrimination from Jesus’s lips did sound
When asking Peter “Do you love me more than these?”
What ‘these were’ we can debate
But Peter’s heart, an open ‘gate’
Confessed “You know I love you!”

 What Jesus did for Peter, with mercy and restoration,
He will do for you, an act of renovation,
Removing denial’s devastation
Replaced by love’s consecration.
The ‘key’, Lord, I love you!

 

 ©Ray Hawkins April 2019.

No comments:

Post a Comment