Thursday, September 24, 2020

The Warrior Wife

  


I love discovering the meaning behind words. There are certain cultural shades of meaning which can be overlooked or misunderstood by translators from a different culture and mindset.

 Not understanding Hebrew (and most other languages) I like to listen to those emmeshed in or from a particular culture. Happened a very short time ago. Discussion got around to Biblical matters and Genesis in particular, which is a strong interest of mine.

“Did you know” my guest said, “the word for Eve has a military implication?”

“No! In what way?” I had in mind pictures of the super hero ‘Miss America.’   

“Nothing like that, and yet maybe there are shadows of it.”

 The word translated as ‘help-meet’ (Genesis 2:18) is the Hebrew word ‘ezer kenedgo’ (EZER = Helper. KENEDGO = Suitable) - and has a military meaning. The following verses from the Bible all translate ‘EZER’ as help.

I am poor and needy: make haste unto me O God: you are my help and my deliverer; O Lord, make no tarrying. Psalm 70:5

 You who fear the Lord, trust in the Lord: He is their help and their shield, Psalm 115:11.

 I will lift up my eyes to the hills, from where my help come. My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth, Psalm 121:1-2.

 There are numerous other passages endorsing the imagery of ‘Helper’ being a military concept. I do like Psalm 121 in this light. I’m a pilgrim in this life and sometimes feel alone. However, the Lord I serve isn’t confined to the hills or valley’s but is responsive to my need, my call. This re-enforced by the title He bears, ‘The Lord of Hosts’ and ‘The Captain of the Lord’s Army.’

 When applied to Eve’s role with Adam the word ‘EZER’ expresses equality of rank, service and responsibility. One aspect of her role is to protect Adam’s back and also assist his advance. Should he fall, she stands guard. Should he advance, she is with him. should they be assailed, they stand together. Should either of them receive honour or recognition, both are included.

 Within the Christian scene this great analogy for a husband and wife can only be distorted by disobeying the Commanding Officer, The Lord Jesus Christ. If that happens, He has promised a ‘court-marshal.’

 ©Ray Hawkins September 23 2020.

No comments:

Post a Comment