Sunday, April 21, 2019

I wasn't at the resurrection


 
 
 
 
I wasn’t there that resurrection morn.

 
I wasn’t there that glorious Sunday morn
When, Jesus arose from the dead before the dawn.
Or sense how the soldiers felt as He drew near,
Causing them to retreat and cower in fear.
Soon, the message would be heard by one and all,
Jesus Christ is risen, now, in faith before Him fall!

Neither did I see Mary Magdalene’s
Joy at meeting Jesus, a beautiful scene,
But this I know, with eyes undimmed
I’ll behold Him, which His cross for me did win.

 No! I wasn’t there to be a witness to all this
But others were and their behaviour insists
That something had happened that day.
No threat, no sword, no loss would sway
From knowing, proclaiming Jesus’ worth,
Believing His kingdom will reign on earth.

The resurrection underpins their proclamation
And becomes our assurance on this confession
“I believe Jesus Christ is the risen Saviour, Lord,
In Him alone I trust, bow, worship and adore!”

 

©Ray Hawkins, February 2019.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment