Monday, April 15, 2019

I wasn't at Calvary.





I wasn’t there at Calvary.

I wasn’t there at Calvary
When the redemption prophecies,
Psalm 22, Isaiah 53 became a reality.
There the Lord, the great I AM
Became the Passover Lamb.
The crucifixion scene was merciless
But one thing astounds me, I confess
The silence of Jesus to Roman brutality
Inflicted by scourging, flaying and mockery.
 
                                                                                                                           
 
I wasn’t there so couldn’t hear
The whip, the fists nor the spears
Biting deep into Christ’s sinless flesh,
No curse, no cry, no sound of bitterness
Rose from His lips, or seen in His eyes
Aimed at those with orders to crucify.
Instead, from the cross was heard
“Forgive them Father” was His cry!
Then, in love’s victory, He died!
I wasn’t there at the crucifixion,
Nor felt the disciples deep desolation,
As hopes evaporated into desperation.
But, I am able to join their celebration
When, as foretold in word and allegory,
Jesus rose from the tomb in victory
Over Satan, Death’s curse and Sin’s shame.
Now forgiveness and newness can be claimed
By all who hear, believe and yield to His Name!
©Ray Hawkins
February 2019.
 Next week...I wasn't there at the resurrection

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment