Sunday, February 25, 2018

Concluding 'This I know...my assurance.


Following on from last week I share my final testimony to Christ’s faithfulness and my, indeed our great hope. I’ve taken Paul’s quote in 2 Timothy 1:12 to explain my experience and trust in His grace. Last week I finished the blog with ‘He is able’. That begs the question ‘to do what?’ 

To keep that which I’ve committed: Whilst this is true the passage actually speaks of what He has committed to Paul, and to us. That sacred trust, the gospel commission was given to men and women best described at pottery vessels. In their own strength they would be unable to endure what was to come upon them. Paul’s testimony at the end of a faithful and turbulent missionary life is here. God is able to keep, safeguard, fresh constantly and watch over what He has entrusted to His people.

What a relief. With all my heart I want to be found faithful. With all my strength I want to succeed. With an understanding of ‘me’ I know that I am not able to do that! Words from a favourite hymn says it all ‘without Him I can do nothing, without Him I’ll surely fail…’ When I bow before my Lord and Saviour the fact of my being in His presence is due simply, solely to Him and His faithfulness and power.

Unto Him against that day: What day? The most obvious choice would be His second coming. When that happens our being ‘in Him’ and with Him is our security. I wonder however, if ‘that day’ could also be applied to the day of our death? Paul was in hourly expectation of being martyred. When that time arrived Christ’s role as the Good Shepherd would come into play. He would walk with His servant through the valley of the shadow of death and into the presence of the Father.

That too is my comfort. I look forward to the return of Christ Jesus to rule, to judge, to bring on righteousness. I realise that it is more likely that there will be some form of funeral service for me. I do not look forward to my dying, although I have prepared for it. What I do look forward to is knowing the promise of Scripture, I shall see Him face to face.

So, in this my final blogspot, can I ask you, “Do you know Jesus the Christ as your
personal saviour and Lord? Do you have the knowledge of His grace and forgiveness? Are you assured, on the authority of His word, that you will see Him when your life is over?
 
'What does it (The Scriptures Jesus used) say? "The word is near you, on your lips and in your heart." (that is, the word  of faith that we proclaim.); because if you confess with your lips that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For one believes with the heart and so is justified, and one confesses with the mouth and so is saved. The scripture says,  "No one who believes in Him will be ashamed." For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; the same Lord is Lord of all and is generous to all who call on Him. For, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved." Romans 10:8-13.
 
Don't delay. Give the Lord your call now. For today, right now is the day of salvation. Make it your day!

©Ray Hawkins February 18 and 25, 2018.
Shalom!

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment