Sunday, April 16, 2017

Jesus the Weakling.


The Amplified Bible translated 1 Corinthians 1:18, 23 and 25 concerning the crucifixion of Christ with mind hammering words. The cross is viewed and described from a sceptic’s response to what happened. ‘Sheer absurdity’ – folly – a scandal, stumbling block- absurd- utterly unphilosophical nonsense - foolish and weak.’ The believer’s response, ‘the foolish thing that has its source in God is wiser than men, and the weak thing that springs from God is stronger than men.

Last week we considered ‘was Jesus a moron?’ Today’s blog asks the question ‘How weak was Jesus to allow Himself to be crucified?’ I have tried to express it in the following poem.

                                                 My God is weak, so very, very weak!
                                                  He didn’t break away from the soldiers
Who placed the cross upon His shoulders.
My God wore their spittle and their taunts.
He must be weak to let them do such things!

My God is weak, so very, very weak!
He never fought when He was whipped.
Never threatened when He was stripped!
He stumbled, fell and the crowd laughed.
He must be weak to let them do such things!

My God is weak, so very, very weak!
No miracle to stop hammer, nail and spear,
No anger to those who screamed and sneered.
Thirsty, thorn crowned, in pain He died.
He must be weak to let them do such things!

My God is weak, so very, very weak!
I’m overwhelmed by His total weakness
When He put aside His awesome greatness
To bear my shame, judgement and death!
Can He be weak to undertake such things?

My God is weak, so very, very weak!
Lifeless, entombed, salvation’s hope dim,
Could He in weakness overcome sin?
The empty tomb declares He ‘did’ win!
Can He be weak to conquer such things?

My God is weak, so very, very weak!
Yet in His weakness I find forgiveness
In His weakness I can enjoy newness.
 My God’s weakness is true love’s greatness.
Can He be weak to achieve us such things?

My God is weak, so very, very weak!
His weakness is my celebration.
His suffering is my Salvation'
His victory is my jubilation!
Can He be weak to be all those things!

My God was ‘weak,’
For me and you
And I love Him for it!
Do you?



From my devotional ‘Captured by Calvary’ ©Ray Hawkins. Available from Christian bookshops  and as an Ebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment