Sunday, June 23, 2019

Christ and me


He was the carpenter of Nazareth
With skills to take your breath away.
And I wondered what refurbishments
He’d do in me today.

 In the temple He wielded the whip —
A zealot defending His Father’s house.
And I wondered where His whip
Would me afflict.

As the Rabbi, He taught by the seaside
Revealing to all the Father’s heart.
And I wondered what life sessions
Would be my lessons.

 There are other features about Jesus
And His roles and relationships.
And I wondered how they applied
To my walk by His side.

 But there’s a feature of Christ so amazing,
The most glorious revelation of Christ
That makes me wonder at its wonder,
When upon it I ponder.

 He is called the Passover Lamb of God
The title for the Redeemer of Israel.
And I wondered, could it possibly be
He’d include you and me.

 As a sheep before the shearers is silent,
 So, He opened not His mouth
But yielded to scourging and the pain
On the cross of shame.

 As the Lamb, He bore the whole world’s sin.
As substitute, He tasted the Father’s wrath.
He was forsaken so He could be victor
And arise as conqueror.

 
Now as the risen Lord and Saviour
He calls me to come follow Him.
A cross He offers me here and now.
His legacy, my testimony!

 This is the promise of scripture.
We will see Jesus face to face in glory
When all the ransomed ones will sing
Glory to Jesus Christ the King.

©Ray Hawkins June 29 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment